Monday, May 16, 2011

STYLE: Black and white photo collage

I've been collecting black and white photographs for quite some time. I have a nice framed collection of larger ones in a hallway, including a 1970 studio shot of the Brady Bunch family autographed by Barry Williams and one of an early 1900s parade in Boise's Chinatown. I've also quite the stash of smaller black and white photos, picked up for pennies at antique stores and garage sales, including about 30 images of historic architecture in Indianapolis.
But it was when my sister-in-law, Crystal, sent me this link to a darling San Francisco home tour featured on Apartment Therapy's website that I knew the little collection's true calling. There are so many things to take inspiration from in this couple's cute home, including the plate display on the wall (which I already have goin' on), but it was the pinned exhibit of old photos that really caught my eye.
I picked up some black and white ball-topped pins at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft up the street for under $2 and set to work. The photos aren't straight, but they do make a nice assymetrical composition that can grow as my collection does. I love that the photos are out of the drawer in the basement and next to my bed, where I can examine them and make up stories about the characters in them, including the one of the lady wearing her Sunday finest pointing a shotgun with a sly smile on her face.

3 comments:

  1. nice Amy- they all tell stories- it's like a wall of poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen,
    You are exactly right - it is a wall of poems. What a beautiful thing to have in my bedroom. I can't wait for it to grow. -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could do the same with my photo collection - however, the plaster walls just don't accommodate it. Practically need a drill just to get a nail in - thank god for the picture rails.

    ReplyDelete