Friday, April 24, 2009

FOODIE: Bulk Breakfast Burritos

My husband and I are self-proclaimed "foodies on a budget." In our past lives as childless lovers in great food cities like Portland, Oregon, and Minneapolis, Minnesota, we explored every diner and dive and nook and cranny of suburban strip malls in search of good eats (The Food Network references intentional). Our eating out habits lessened when we had kids, as we began to cook at home more, which became even more imperative when our income dramatically decreased a few weeks back. We still explore new joints on occasion, and I'll be blogging about them here (check back to see my review of Boise's new Idaho Fry Co. coming soon). Also, I'm not the world's best chef, but I do enjoy the challenge of creating somewhat healthy, affordable food for my family, so I'll be blogging about that and sharing recipes here, too.

As I was doing research for this blog, I came across some other sites of laid off bloggers that were inspirational, creative, and therapeutic. One site I stumbled across is The Simple Dollar, written by Trent, who found himself in "financial Armageddon" and thus decided to start his blog, offering sound financial advice for the rest of us. My favorite find, however, was his recipe for bulk breakfast burritos made on the cheap. My husband, who has been known to stop at a McDonald's or Maverick for a breakfast burrito from time to time, was all over me trying out this healthier, cheaper option.

Click here for the complete recipe:

I've actually made them twice now, the first time with the black beans like the recipe indicates and the second time (photo above) with shredded ham instead of the beans. We both agree the bean option is better and probably healthier for you. Also, we added a bit of shredded cheddar cheese and a few shakes of Tapatio for spiciness. I halved the recipe, since the recipe actually makes 32 burritos (a bit much for my small family), so while I should've been able to make around 16 burritos, I only wound up with 10. I think I may be putting too much egg mixture into the shell, but, damn, it's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. well sorry to see the REASON you've joined the blog world but I'm happy to be your blog-friend and keep up with your newest career. I know this economic canyon is hard on you.. my nephew (with two kids and a SAHM) is on 55% salary with his company. It's bad out there.

    Me - I've chosen an apparently good time to retire! My last day is the 30th and I'm leaving OSU just as it tanks with the rest of the state. Cutting to the bone they are (except tenured faculty of course) so staff positions are going away or going to the new Business Center for CLA and Science. Morale stinks and I'm glad to be leaving all that negative environment.

    Thanks goodness for PERS and turning 65 in July - I'm in pretty good shape to carry on without any work obligations (yipee!) and Cheryl who took my job is just right for it so the troops will survive. We are down to one staff person, in your former position at the MRC. My assistant will be moved to the Business Center May 1st so the "main office" will be moved to the MRC.

    Lovely to hear from you - I'll check in occasionally.

    Hugs - Sara (Schreiber)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I'm a big fan of filling our freezer with good, healthy food as fallbacks on those busy days/weeks, but I never thought of something as simple as this. I've always gone the lasagne/stews/casseroles route.

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete